Charcuterie and Pork Preservation: December 9-10, 2023 (Deposit only)
Where else can you learn how to use charcuterie to preserve your homestead hog without a freezer? Not just “learn,” but “learn by DOING.”
This class is designed as an intense introduction for those who want to learn the old time arts of seam butchering and preserving pork in a low-tech method for home or restaurant use. Make your deposit today to hold your place in the class!
Charcuterie is the art and science of preserving meat. Pork is especially suited for this purpose. This is your chance to learn how to process a heritage hog from oink to ham with Mark Baker.
At this hands-on offering on our working farm, you will have the opportunity to learn:
- *How to feed and care for a hog for optimal charcuterie processing.
- *How to use seam butchery techniques to turn half a hog into usable pieces.
- *How to preserve the pork outside of refrigeration/freezing: how to make confit, prosciutto, coppa, and more.
- How to cure and preserve many of the organ meats.
- *How to make your own lard and sausages.
- *Help make a working farm run by milking the cows, collecting eggs, and slopping the hogs.
This is only a $400 non-refundable deposit to secure your position in the class. The balance ($900) is due at the class.
WAIT! GRAB YOUR HOLIDAY SHOPPING WEEKEND SPECIAL TO SCORE AN EXTRA DEAL FOR THAT “HARD TO BUY FOR” PERSON OR TO TREAT YOURSELF TO AN EARLY CHRISTMAS PRESENT. DISCOUNTED DEPOSIT GOOD ONLY TILL MIDNIGHT MONDAY!
Security and self-sufficiency are reality for you when you can procure and preserve food. Real wealth is the ability to create what you need, and when what you need is food that doesn’t require freezing, you can be independent and wealthy when you know how to make fine pork products using only salt and time.
Charcuterie is the art and science of preserving meat. Pork is especially suited for this purpose. This is your chance to learn how to process a heritage hog and preserve it using salt and old fashioned techniques with Mark and Jill Baker.
This class is designed as an intense introduction for those who want to learn the old time arts of seam butchering and preserving pork using charcuterie in a low-tech method for home or restaurant use.
In this next level class, you’ll get hand’s on experience to
- How to feed and care for a hog for optimal charcuterie processing.
- How to use seam butchery techniques to turn half a hog into usable pieces.
- Create delicious dry cured sausages
- Preserve larger cuts of pork outside of refrigeration/freezing :as confit, prosciutto, capicola, pancetta, and more
- Render fat and learn the many uses for lard
- Discover how to use and preserve the organs and other uncommon parts
In addition, you get these bonuses:
- Meals with the Baker family
- Opportunities to ask Mark and Jill your questions about homesteading, farming, family, and life
- Opportunities to do chores with the Baker kids: milking the cows, caring for the hens, and more
- A tour of Baker’s Green Acres, a working, diverse, regenerative homestead farm
- Professional quality photos of your experience to print and share
If you’re ready to be independent and food-wealthy (not to mention creating food with style), and you like to learn by doing the thing with teachers that also “do the thing” this is your golden opportunity. Sign up today to ensure you have a spot at the cutting table for this class.
Where else can you learn real farming skills on a real working farm from people who are really doing the thing? There are a lot of advantages to coming to a BGA Anyone Can Farm class besides building fences, raising chickens, or butchering hogs. You get to see these skills in the context of a regenerative farm that really works and pick the brains of the people doing it. No need to reinvent the wheel!
Plus, we offer savings when you bring family members or are a military veteran. Contact us if you want to sign up and would benefit from these savings.
Make your deposit today!
Cost: Total cost is $1300 and includes
- one of a kind, hands on learning opportunities you can't get anywhere else,
- a whole farm experience,
- Meals on Saturday and Sunday with the Baker family
- a sampling of many of the cuts as we go.
- BONUS: You get to spend a weekend with Mark Baker on Baker's Green Acres. See how we raise our pigs, ask your questions, learn the ins and outs of what we do so you can save time, money, and effort!
Young adults/teens between the ages of 14-18, spouses, and military folks are discounted. Talk to us if this applies to you!
Please e-mail email@example.com or call 231-825-0293 if you have questions.
This is only a $400 non-refundable deposit to secure your position in the class. The balance is due at the class.
In Full, Deposit
In Full Deposit