Welcome to this class on how to process a hog from oink to ham. This class is designed as an intense introduction for those who want to learn the old time arts of butchering and preserving pork in a low-tech method for home or restaurant use.
Charcuterie is the art and science of preserving meat. Pork is especially suited for this purpose. This is your chance to learn how to process a heritage hog from oink to ham with Mark Baker.
At this hands-on offering on our working farm, you will have the opportunity to learn:
- *How to feed and care for a hog for optimal charcuterie processing.
- *How to slaughter a hog on-farm, including scalding and scraping.
- *How to use seam butchery techniques to turn half a hog into usable pieces.
- *How to utilize many of the organ meats.
- *How to make your own lard and sausages.
- *How to cure your own bacon, hams, and other cuts.
- *Help make a working farm run by milking the cows, collecting eggs, and slopping the hogs.
You will get to take a share of the meat we process in class home with you!
Where else can you learn real farming skills on a real working farm from people who are really doing the thing? There are a lot of advantages to coming to a BGA Anyone Can Farm class besides building fences and raising chickens. You get to see these skills in the context of a regenerative farm that really works and pick the brains of the people doing it. No need to reinvent the wheel!
Plus, we offer savings when you bring family members or are a military veteran. Contact us if you want to sign up and would benefit from these savings.
Make your deposit today!
Cost: Total cost is $400 and includes
- one of a kind, hands on learning opportunities,
- a whole farm experience,
- noon meals on Saturday and Sunday and Saturday dinner with the Baker family
- 20-30 pounds of the pork we process, to include a sampling of most of the cuts.
- BONUS: You get to spend a weekend with Mark Baker on Baker’s Green Acres. See how we raise our pigs, ask your questions, learn the ins and outs of what we do!
Young adults/teens between the ages of 14-18 are discounted when accompanied by a legal guardian or family member.
Please e-mail email@example.com or call 231-825-0293 if you have questions.
This is only a $150 deposit to secure your position in the class. The balance is due at the class.