Anyone Can Farm and learn how to raise and harvest hogs. You don’t have to raise pigs or own your homestead farm yet, or be an experienced farmer to learn how to convert a live pig into pork for your freezer.
- Want to be more knowledgeable about your food and where it comes from?
- Are you a hands-on learner who benefits from personalized instruction?
Upgrade your food processing skills by reserving your spot today! In this hand’s on, on-the-farm 3 day class you’ll get to:
- See how to harvest a heritage Mangalitsa hog from the field
- Scald and scrape, and eviscerate the pig, saving organs for use
- Cut the halved hogs into basic pork cuts
- Salt meat for bacon and ham
- Render fat and learn the many used for lard
- Create delicious sausages
- Learn how to use the organs and other uncommon parts
Student spots at the cutting table are limited so you can get personalized attention from Mark and Jill as you go through the process of taking pigs from field to freezer.
When you attend on-farm classes, you can immerse yourself in the whole Baker’s Green Acres farm and family experience:
- A weekend on a working farm
- Meals with the Baker family Saturday and Sunday
- Opportunities to ask Mark and Jill your questions about homesteading, farming, family, homestead health, and life
- Opportunities to do chores with the Baker kids: milking the cows, caring for the hens, and more
- A tour of Baker’s Green Acres, a working, diverse, regenerative homestead farm
- Discounted pricing to take any meat from the class home with you.
Reserve your seat today so you don’t miss out on this opportunity to further your homestead education with an essential skill experience.
Where else can you learn real farming skills on a real working farm from people who are really doing the thing? There are a lot of advantages to coming to a BGA Anyone Can Farm class besides building fences and raising chickens. You get to see these skills in the context of a regenerative farm that really works and pick the brains of the people doing it. No need to reinvent the wheel!
Plus, we offer savings when you bring family members or are a military veteran. Contact us if you want to sign up and would benefit from these savings. Young adults/teens between the ages of 14-18 are discounted when accompanied by a legal guardian or family member.
Make your deposit today!
Cost: Total cost is $650 and includes
- one of a kind, hands on learning opportunities,
- a whole farm, regenerative and sustainable farming perspective,
- the farm family experience with noon meals on Saturday and Sunday and Saturday dinner with the Baker family
- a sampling of many of the cuts as we go.
- a commemorative t-shirt
- a link to shareable photos of you from the whole weekend
- Discounted pricing on the fabulous pork you help create
- BONUS: You get to spend a weekend with Mark Baker on Baker’s Green Acres. See how we raise our pigs, ask your questions, learn the ins and outs of what we do so you can save time, money, and effort!
Please e-mail email@example.com or call 231-825-0293 if you have questions.
This is only a $200 non-refundable deposit to secure your position in the class. The balance is due at the class.
” I will start by saying I’ve now harvested a half dozen pigs at my homestead, and have all gone pretty smooth. It’s been very helpful being able to refer to my notes and pictures taken during the course. I had some help from a chef on a couple pigs, and process sort of got away from what I learned at Baker Farm the outcome was not as desirable. I’m now mostly sticking to the Baker way.
I would recommend it because It’s very hands on and informative.” –Adam