Join this LIVE ONLINE workshop to learn the time honored skill of putting your carefully raised animals in the freezer. From field to freezer, learn how to butcher your own hogs in this workshop. We’ll start in the field with a live pig on Friday and end Saturday by noon with meat ready to go into the freezer. You’ll be able to watch, ask questions in real time, and take notes in the short workbook you’ll receive by email. We value the life of the animal as we raise it, and will make the most of it’s gift of life by using as much as possible of it.
This workshop will cover:
Day 1 (Friday 6 pm to about 8 pm)
- how to kill and bleed the pig
- how to scald and scrape
- how to eviscerate and get the guts out, including a discussion of how to use them
- splitting the pig into halves to cool overnight
Day 2 (9 am to about noon)
- how to cut the hog into “primal cuts”
- how to make the cuts you’ll put in the freezer (chops, steaks, roasts)
- how to make bacon and sausage
- discussion of using the skin, bones, and rendering lard
This is a quick, down and dirty workshop for those who have animals to process right now. Can’t get into a processor until Santa Claus comes? No problem. You really can do this at home. AND the skills are transferable to other large animals such as lamb and goat. Once you have the principles, you’ll be able to provide meat to your freezer with out the middle man. Learn from home in the LIVE, INTERACTIVE, ONLINE WORKSHOP skills that will ultimately save you time and money while increasing your food security.