Silly me.  I thought that once Pigstock was done we’d have a lull in which to catch our collective breath and prep for deer rifle season.  Silly me.

The week after our Mangalitsa pig fest was spent cleaning up and catching up.  We had a fairly large batch of chickens to deal with that consumed the next Monday – Wednesday. The good news was that the pastured birds were basically done.  The weather has been kind, but it was time.  Bright and early on Thursday (or supposed to be bright and early) we trailed out the driveway behind six pigs headed for Roanoke, Indiana to the Joseph Decuis Restaurant and Farm.  We arrived on a softly sunny afternoon in 70 degree warmth.  Meeting Peter and Alice and Tim Eschelman and spending a day with them went from there.  They are very down to earth folks who enjoy the best things in life (hence the Mangalitsa pigs) and enjoy sharing those things.  Aaron Butts and his staff in the restaurant will charcuter the pigs into their own proscuitto, headcheese, lardo, and all the rest.  We had a sample of their work, and once they get the Mangalitsa made up, they’ll have a fantastic product. 

We took a round about way home due to some other business, enjoying the food at Cinco Lagos on the way.  The kids and I toured the County Historical Society Museum in Milford while we were there.  It’s a neat little place.  We enjoyed looking at the old fashioned tools and toys, remarking, “Oh, that’s that thing we read about in that book!” or, “We have that at home,” or, “You could use that for this job you do.”  The lady who gave us the tour added to our knowledge–and we added to hers.  Museums are fun places. 

Home again late Saturday the 13th.  Ah, deer season on the 15th.  Think we can still sight in our guns, Dad?  Oh dear, so much for preparedness.  Amazingly, with no advertising–not even our road sign–we had deer roll in the driveway for processing.  So, we’ve been busy with a few deer, a few chickens, keeping the Great Pyranees guard dog and puppies from checking out those strange fellows across the road (that doesn’t positively impress earnest hunters). 

This week has been turkey week with processing Thanksgiving turkey for folks.  Yesterday we processed one that weighed 56 pounds live.  We’ll find out today how much that is dressed, but it’ll be in the 45 lb. neighborhood.  He was a big fella.  We are looking forward to our own fresh, pastured turkey for Thanksgiving.  It’s such a different flavor and texture sensation from what Butterball puts out.  If you’ve never tried a “real” turkey, you need to seek out a farmer who grows them and try one–even if it’s Wednesday night’s dinner instead of Thanksgiving.  It’s well worth the investment. 

Happy Thanksgiving!  May you find you have many things to be grateful for in any circumstance.